Crock pots are a God send. For anyone with little time to devote to slaving over the kitchen stove, crock pots can help save the day. Enabling home cooks to make good rib sticking meals without constant tending.
One of my favorite crock pot meals is a good, hearty and rustic soup. This chicken and rice crock pot soup is so simple, you won’t believe it. I have a few cheats to make things a little faster, but you can go low and slow if you’d like 😉
Chicken & Rice Crock Pot Soup
- Chicken Broth (or water and chicken bones)
- Mushrooms (canned or fresh)
- Spinach (best fresh, but canned and strained can work as well)
- Rice (any variety)
- Chicken (I use thigh meat to keep it cheap)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pour broth into crock pot or make your own. To make broth, just put chicken bones, water and an onion in the crock pot the night before, set it to low and leave to simmer all night. Strain in the morning.
- Add mushrooms, spinach and chicken (you can bake chicken the night before and use the bones for the broth in previous step)
- Let cook on low for 4 hours.
- You can either add rice to the mix to cook low and slow or you can do like I do and make the rice in the pressure cooker right before serving. Just mix the rice into the crock pot or pour soup over rice when serving.
Super easy way to make a warm and hearty meal!