Whether you are inspired to move country as a result of a lifelong love of travel or are looking for a change, moving abroad can be an incredibly exciting adventure. However, the moving process can be complicated and, at times, confusing. Therefore it is important that you ensure you do your research ahead of time and put the appropriate measures in place. This can make the process as easy and straightforward as possible, meaning you can focus on planning your new life!
With that in mind, here’s a hand checklist that can help you prepare for moving abroad.
- Research your intended destination to ensure it is the perfect choice for you and your family. What is the lifestyle like? What work opportunities are there? What is the cost of living?
- Once you have selected a specific country or region, try to narrow down your search to a specific city or town. This will make it easier to search for a property.
- Work closely with a realtor to find your ideal home. If it is not possible for you to attend a viewing in person, ask for video recordings of the property or a live virtual viewing. This gives you a clear insight into the space, so you know what to expect.
- Inform your current employer of your plans to move, and provide them with appropriate notice.
- Browse online for any job opportunities in the area you wish to move to. This will help you get a head start before moving and could mean that you secure a job before your plane even lands.
- Work with an immigration law company, such as https://ericpalacioslaw.com, to ensure you obtain the appropriate visa. They can talk you through the complicated application process and ensure that you are able to live and work freely in your new home.
- If you are moving to a country that speaks another language, try to get to grips with some of the basics. This can make the transition of moving from one place to another much smoother, especially if you are looking for work.
- Get your house ready to sell. This may mean you need to complete some small renovations and deep clean the property ahead of time. The better your home looks, the better deal you will receive.
- Save up money to provide you with financial security during the move. This is especially important if you are moving without having a specific job lined up. You need to ensure that you are suitably prepared to provide for yourself and your family.
- In the run up to the move, try to live more frugally.
- Hire a moving company to help move your furniture and belongings into your new home.
- Consider selling your old furniture and belongings (essentially, anything you are not taking with you). You can put the rest of this money towards the move. Alternatively, you could donate them to a local charity.
- Book your flights with plenty of time in advance as prices are often cheaper.